Sunday, March 31, 2013

Happy Easter!!

We worked hard getting ready for Easter this year!




I'm happy the kids are as obsessive about Easter eggs as I am. This year Solenn made a pretty design on paper and I used it as inspiration for my egg.

I used to make these Ukrainian eggs when I was a kid. I can't remember when or how we started making them. I don't remember learning how to do it. I'll have to ask my mom if she remembers. I used to loooove making them. I made Easter egg Christmas ornaments for my grandmother. I won the high school art award with an Easter egg my senior year (Go Rams!).

Anyway... now the kids love making them too. A few years ago I started looking around for supplies and I called around to some local craft stores. And got awesomely insulted. I'm still trying to think of a good comeback. And when I called one (which shall remain nameless, but starts with the letter M) I said, "Excuse me do you have Ukrainian egg decorating supplies? No? Do you know where I might be able to find them?"

I can still hear her answer in my head. A little scratchy and nasal.  "Ummm... maybe back in the 70's?"

Let me know if you have any good comebacks. I'll call them back up again now.

These are some of mine from this year and the last few years:


These are some of the kids':


Here's the store in New York where I eventually found supplies. No one mocked me there.
http://www.surmastore.com/pysanka.html

And here's how to do it:
http://www.learnpysanky.com/steps.html

1 comment:

jeannie brett said...

Nice post Anik! I did a lot of egg blowing and decorating with my kids way back when. We all looked forward to it. the kids loved making "madras" eggs and deep deep dark red eggs for our Greek Easter with my husband's family.
I love hearing about your family. It takes me back to when my kids were young and we did so many fun things together! We still do, but different fun things:)
xojeannie