Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Day 2 yogi bear and Old Rag Mountain

We started out the day with bouncing and the requisite Yogi Bear flag salute, complete with Yogi, Cindy, and BooBoo.

And then we followed that up with an 8 hour crazy persons hike, up a mountain, the likes of which I have never experienced before. We had to shimmy through crevices and out over rock ledges and through a cave. The moment I will never forget though, was when we almost had to quit 4 hours into the hike. We met a crevasse. The only way past was over. Noel jumped right across. It's was maybe a 3 foot jump, but a long,messy way down if you missed. Solenn sat and cried. And, I have to admit, I panicked. I mostly couldn't figure out how to get Carys across. So we sat for a while with Noel on one side and the three of us on the other. Until Solenn abruptly stood up, wiped her tears away, and took the leap. Yes, my heart skipped a beat. But wow, what a girl.

Then a long legged, rock jumping stranger wandered up and offered us his assistance. I said yes, but my heart entirely left my body as I watched him with a foot on either side of the world., slow motion style, pick her up from under her armpits, dangle her briefly over the bottomless pit, and deposit her safely on the other side. Then we continued our hike.

We met many helpful, kind, and patient people on that hike.

At the end of the day, there is only one time in my life I have ever been so tired. Will have to tell you about that one later. I don't know how the kids did it. What an amazing day.

If you ever get a chance to hike Old Rag Mountain, don't pass it up!











No comments: